Your recovery from joint replacement surgery should start before the operation even takes place. Having a joint replacement is an important decision and can dramatically decrease joint pain and improve your quality of life. However, there are a lot of uncertainties when going into surgery — largely about what happens immediately after your surgery takes place.
Pre-operative physical therapy allows you to meet your rehabilitation team and learn the essentials to ensuring a great recovery after your surgery. Research has shown that attending as little as one pre-operative physical therapy session can help reduce the amount of post-surgical care and lead to faster and more efficient recoveries.
Here are a few benefits of our Total Joint Replacement Program:
- Meet your physical therapy team and tour the facility
- Learn important home exercises to get a head-start on your recovery
- Learn and practice using a walker and cane, if necessary (it’s easier to learn prior to surgery than it is afterward)
- Assess and identify any balance impairments
- Improve balance to enhance safety and avoid hospital readmission
- Ready yourself to go home from the hospital rather than to a separate facility
- Get your questions answered about post-operative rehabilitation
- Plan your post-operative goals with our physical therapist for faster, more efficient rehabilitation