Deborah is an extraordinary story with beginnings traced to its founding in 1922 as a tuberculosis sanatorium and pulmonary center. According to legend, the therapeutic, pine-barren air of rural Burlington County was key to patient recovery. In reality, thousands of TB patients were medically treated and successfully cured by a heroic team of Deborah physicians. The heart of the Deborah Mission has always been compassion.
With the development of antibiotic medications leading to the eradication of TB, Deborah began expanding its focus to other chest diseases. Dr. Charles Bailey, a pioneer in heart surgery, performed Deborah’s first open heart surgery. The specialty of cardiac diseases was immediately embraced, transforming Deborah into New Jersey’s only cardiac and pulmonary specialty hospital.
Next Generation Healing
Today, Deborah offers leading edge surgical techniques and non-surgical alternatives for diagnosing and treating all forms of cardiac, vascular and pulmonary diseases in adults, congenital and acquired heart defects in adults and children. Deborah is consistently recognized as a leader in patient care and innovative healing. Deborah has won many awards and ranks #1 in NJ for patient satisfaction.
New advances in cardiac, pulmonary, and vascular care for patients are always available at Deborah. Among the procedures and technologies first brought to the region by the hospital are:
- Bronchial Thermoplasty for treating severe asthma
- Orbital Atherectomy to clear calcified blockages in the coronary arteries
- Wrist (or radial) catheterizations (not only for heart, but for the thoracic cavity and upper legs)
- Percutaneous interventional abdominal aortic stent graft repair
- The county’s first hybrid OR for Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR) and coronary bypass surgery performed percutaneously
- The first Wound Care Center offering a hyperbaric chamber for intense oxygen therapy and enhanced wound healing
- Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) management
These are just a few of the medical advances available at Deborah. Deborah’s companion Clinical Research Department keeps the hospital in the loop on the most promising new treatments and technologies.
When it’s your family’s health, don’t settle. Demand Deborah.