Deborah Heart and Lung Center (DHLC) is very concerned for the safety and well-being of its patient, as well as its dedicated staff of healthcare professionals and clinical and ancillary sport personnel. The patient population at Deborah Heart and Lung Center is at the highest risk stratification for COVID-19, including the most severe complications and death from the virus. The fact is that 100% of Deborah’s patients have underlying comorbidities such as cardiac disease, pulmonary disease, and /or vascular disease, as well as the average age being > 68 years.
DHLC uses a Color-Coded Visitation Policy which prioritizes the safety and well-being of patients, patient visitors and support persons, and hospital staff. DHLC recognizes the important role that visits from loved ones and support persons have on a patients’ well-being. This visitation guidance balances that influence with the need to reduce the risk of patients and staff being exposed or infected with the coronavirus. This policy utilizes established regional color codes for visitation (DHLC is part of the Southwest Region) that are distributed weekly by the New Jersey Department of Health Communicable Disease Service’s COVID-19 Activity Level Report. The Percent Positivity in the South West Region will be used to determine the color code to be assigned.
- Green: positivity of 10 or less
- Yellow: positivity greater than 10
- Red: to be determined by Infection Prevention and Control and Employee Health using data from the state and the Center.
Visitation status for the week of Friday, June 24 to Thursday, June 30 is Yellow.
These guidelines are subject to change, at any time, based on the level of COVID-19 risk in the state, the community, or with potential changes that would affect the safety of our patients, visitors and staff here at DHLC.
- 12:00pm to 3:00pm or 6:00pm to 7:00pm daily, 18 years of age or older
Inpatient Pre-Procedure Visitation
- Pre-procedure Inpatients: ONE visitor at a time (two total) prior to procedure regardless of time of day for a total of 15 minutes
- Out-patient procedure patients: ONE visitor in lobby
Outpatient – ACS Visitation
- As above
- Patients may call their visitor when speaking with the healthcare provider so the visitor may be part of the conversation, otherwise visitors may wait in their vehicle or other designated locations.
- Exceptions: Patients with the following may have one visitor accompany them (registration process/clinic visit):
- Dementia/cognitive issue
- Hearing impaired/deaf
- Language barrier
- Wheelchair bound
- Needs assistance walking
- Patients at the end of life – Visitation is granted on an individual basis, times and days are exempted from above
- Patients with special needs, neurocognitive disability, or behavioral concerns may have ONE visitor at all times if needed
- Patient discharge education – two visitors may visit together as scheduled with the nursing unit.
- Patients who are new to Milrinone or Life Vest may have one visitor present during the teaching provided by the vendor. The visit will be 30 minutes at the patient’s bedside. One visitor only. Please work with Social Services to determine the arrival time of the vendor.
- Screening criteria for all visitors still applies
In addition, visitation through the use of technology: iPad is available and can be utilized at any time.
Required Visitor Screening/General Instructions
- Must wear a face mask that covers the nose and mouth at all times. Any visitor who fails to correctly wear a face mask will be asked to leave the facility. Masks with an exhalation valve will not be permitted.
- Complete Visitation Tool
- Temperature Check – Temps equal to or above 100.0 degrees F are not allowed to visit
- Answer screening questions
- Practice social distancing of at least 6 feet between themselves, other visitors, hospital staff, and the patient
- Wash hands before entering the patient’s room and after visiting patients
- Remain in the patient room or at the bedside throughout the visit, may not wander the halls
- Visitors are allowed in the coffee shop (located on the first floor lobby waiting area) and cafeteria (located on the ground floor)