- 1 pound whole fresh red beets, stems trimmed 1/2 inch above the beets
- 1 pound whole fresh golden beets, stems trimmed 1/2 inch above the beets
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/4 cup Marukan Rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- 22-ounce extra firm tofu, drained and cut into cubes
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Separate the beets according to color and place them in separate shallow baking dishes. Roast for 30 to 45 minutes (the gold beets will cook more quickly because of their size), or until they can be penetrated, with slight resistance, with a sharp knife. Set aside to cool enough to handle.
Use a small paring knife to remove the beet skins and cut the beets into 1-inch cubes, reserve.
In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine the oil, onions, vinegar, parsley, tarragon, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, mustard, and pepper to taste. Stir in the beets and cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for about 2 hours, until the salad is marinated and thoroughly chilled. Just before serving, add walnuts and tofu. Adjust seasoning to taste with freshly ground pepper. Serves 8.
- Cals 242
- Total Fat 16g
- Sat Fat 1.8g
- Chol 0mg
- Sodium 143mg
- Fiber 5g
- Carbs 16g
- Pro 10g