- 8 large strawberries, with stems
- 1/2 lb dark chocolate (Baker’s unsweetened*), chopped
Tips for chocolate dipped strawberries
When buying strawberries, the best way to determine their sweetness is simply by smelling them. Choosing “stem berries” although more expensive, makes the dipping easier. Make sure your strawberries are clean and dry. This will ensure the chocolate will coat more easily. After dipping, shake the off the excess chocolate, place them on either wax or parchment paper, and then gently slide them back about 1 inch. This will stop the chocolate from pooling at the bottom. If you do not want to use a double boiler, you can place the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Just be sure heat the chocolate on high for 8-10 seconds at a time stopping to stir. Repeat this process until the chocolate is melted.
- Total # servings 8
- Cals 146
- Total Fat 14.9g
- Sat Fat 9g
- Chol 0mg
- Sodium 7mg
- Fiber 5g
- Carbs 15g
- Pro 4g
*There are some heart benefits of dark chocolate, due to its antioxidants and flavonoids, but it should only be used in moderation because of the calories. Chocolate does have a lot of fat but some of the saturated fat does not impact your cholesterol. The breakdown of fats in chocolate are 1/3 oleic acid, 1/3 stearic acid and 1/3 palmitic acid.
- Oleic Acid: a healthy monounsaturated fat like that found in olive oil
- Stearic Acid: a saturated fat that appears to have a neutral effect on cholesterol, meaning it does not lower it or raise it.
- Palmitic Acid: is a saturated fat which does raise cholesterol and heart disease risk but only makes up 1/3 of the fat calories but again, is another reason to control your intake of chocolate.
Fill the bottom pan of a double boiler with water to 1/2″ below the upper pan and place over low heat. (The water in the bottom of the double boiler should not come to a boil.) Place the chocolate in the upper pan, and stir constantly until the chocolate is melted. Dip the strawberries in the melted chocolate. Place the strawberries on wax or parchment paper allowing the chocolate to harden. Makes 8 strawberries.
For extra flavor you can inject the strawberries with your favorite liquor before dipping. Injector/needles can be found in specialty kitchen ware stores.